How to Choose a Leather Jacket Based on Your Personality Type
Have you ever seen a dude rocking a perfectly rugged, slightly dangerous leather jacket and thought to yourself "I wish I could pull that off!"? Has this thought process ever been followed by a series of trial-and-error jackets in the dressing room? If you've ever struggled to identify the style of leather jacket that will best suit your own individual je ne sais quoi, don't worry, you're not alone. It's a tricky look, but one that can be easily mastered with a few tips, and we've got them ready and waiting for you. Don't be afraid to take your style up a notch-just make sure you're doing it your way. Let's learn how to choose a leather jacket based on your personality type.
What You Will Need to Shop the Right Options:
• A firm understanding of your personal style. Is looking polished at the top of your to-do list, or are you more concerned with evoking supreme masculinity? Do you want to be ready to hop on a motorcycle and drive off into the night at the drop of a hat (or at least look the part)? Thinking of the rest of your wardrobe can aid in finding the perfect jacket to complement your attire and will allow you to purchase a coat that is perfect for everyday use.
• A little knowledge about your body type. Do you have a short torso and want to make it look longer? Do you prefer short jackets that draw a little more attention to your lower half? Although this may seem like a silly consideration, part of dressing well is dressing your own body, and sometimes that's not the look you see on the mannequin. Take a look at duds you already own that make you look as good as you feel, and don't be afraid to tailor your purchase to your own form!
• A basic idea of your price point. Purchasing a leather jacket is a serious investment, but due to the longevity of the material and the quintessential style, you're not going to have to replace it anytime soon. Still, with prices that commonly range between $100-$400 and beyond, you're going to want to choose the style that's right for you and your pocketbook. Don't stress out, because there are choices at nearly every level, so you're sure to find what works best for you.
Take it All Step by Step:
1. Get your style matching your personality to a T.
Before you hit the stores in search of the perfect leather jacket, the most important thing to do is examine the clothes you already own. If you're the type of guy who hangs out in a flannel shirt and work boots, the classic bomber jacket may be just right for you, as it has embodied the "everyman" for centuries. If you like a cuff-sleeved tee and a pair of dark shades, you might be interested in the double rider, which is designed to accompany you on any late-night adventures you have planned. If you're a buttoned-up type that runs from the boardroom to the banquet hall, a moto jacket might be just the ticket, giving a classy upgrade to a basic blazer. That's not to say that these rules can't be broken, but taking the basics of your own taste into consideration will make your leather jacket more versatile, giving you more bang for your buck and letting you look great while you do it.
2. Identify the type of your own body.
Sure, personality is important when you're buying new clothes, but so is the shape of your frame! Generally speaking, you either have a short torso and long legs, or a long torso and short legs. If you fall into the former category, a jacket that goes just beyond your beltline can work to balance your frame, giving the illusion of a longer mid-section. Conversely, to balance a powerful torso and shorter legs, keeping your leather jacket ending right at your waist is an easy way to do just that. This will draw the eye upward, and build up your physique with or without a trip to the gym. Dressing sharp is a great way to keep all eyes on you, so it's a good idea to remember this basic rule of thumb.
3. Figure out how much coin you want to drop.
It's one thing to have found the leather jacket that fits like it was made specifically for you, but if you do all that work only to check the price tag and find that it's outside of your reach, it can be a huge letdown. If your bank account is telling you to keep it on the low end of things, brands like L.L. Bean and Michael Kors may be able to give you what you crave without busting your budget. Got a dime to spend? Keep your eyes peeled for choices from ASOS, GAP, and Marc New York by Andrew Marc. These brands have their finger on the pulse of fashion and are sure to have the right jacket for you, right now. Whatever choice you make, you can be sure that genuine leather is meant to last through whatever life throws at you. Pro tip: if you're embracing the cruelty-free life, check Armani Exchange and John Varvatos for some excellent vegan leather options.
Your look is not only skin-deep; it directly impacts the way that you feel when you're out there taking on the world, and when it really counts, you want your appearance to match the handsome chap you feel you are on the inside. Confidence is key, and now that you have the fundamentals for selecting the perfect leather jacket, all that's left to do is get shopping and get the look you're after. Are you feeling excited and ready to step it up when you're stepping out? Be sure to leave your comments below, and share this article with any strapping lad you think could use a little help.