10 Ways To Style a Leather Bomber Jacket
A leather bomber jacket is the kind of style that is timeless. When I’m looking for a statement garment, a bomber jacket is top of my list. There’s just something about the way I feel when I wear one. The broad shoulders and relaxed fit of the sleeves makes me feel comfortable, noticed and strong as I walk down the street.
The bomber jacket was designed for pilots. It's warm and protects you from the wind while also leaving room for you to be able to move freely. It’s for good reason that this style has never gone away.
Are you thinking about buying or finally wearing a leather bomber jacket? This may be a new style for you. This tutorial will give you some pro tips on how to wear it well.
What you’ll need to style a leather bomber jacket:
- Your leather jacket
- Dark-colored chinos or jeans
- Dark-colored dress shoes, boots or sneakers
- Collared shirts
- Stylish belt
- Just about anything in your closet that follows these rules
- Don’t be afraid of color. In the world of men’s fashions, especially leather jackets, there’s a lot of black and brown. If you’re looking for a quick way to stand out, try adding some color. A nice burgundy, navy or even white are great choices for the upcoming spring season. When you’re wearing these colorful jackets, pair them with a more neutral palette underneath, and always let the jacket be the star of your ensemble.
- Mix up the colors. If you decide to go with a basic black leather jacket, break up your color scheme by wearing different colors underneath. A black jacket with black jeans or black dress pants is a popular choice, but it would be better if you don’t end up wearing all black. Try wearing something colorful under the jacket. It’s better to pair a black jacket with a charcoal jean or just about any shade lighter than black. Wearing all one color can be unflattering. Try wearing a light colored sweater and layer with a colorful dress shirt. Let the shirttail hang out for a casual effect. It’s hard to outdo a black leather bomber jacket with a pair of distressed blue jeans. This classic style never goes out of fashion.
- Pair with a dress shirt and tie and jeans. A nice leather bomber jacket can replace a sportcoat. If you’re meeting friends for dinner or attending an outdoor event, you can pair your jacket with jeans, a casual boot and a skinny necktie for a rugged but dressy appearance. What's nice about this look is that it's casual and dressy at the same time, which is good for events when you don't want to look like you tried too hard.
Throw it over a white. T-shirt Bring out your inner James Dean. During the changing of the seasons, you can you may go from chilly mornings to warm afternoons and back to chilly evenings. Having a nice leather jacket to go over a basic t-shirt is a classic look that keeps you comfortable through weather changes and still looks stylish. This style goes well with blue jeans, but you can wear it over your dress pants too. A stylish belt can bring it all together. You can take this timeless jacket and mix in modern styles like skater shoes and jogger pants for an edgier look.
- Choose a matte finish over shiny. Shiny leather jackets tend to look cheaper than a matte-finished jacket. Shiny jackets show their wear faster too. A matte finish is goes-with-everything kind of look. The same rule goes for the hardware. Opt for less-shiny hardware. Black zippers and buttons give the jacket a more authentic look and will not overshadow the rest of your outfit. Metallic colors are okay too but choose a duller finish like pewter or copper.
- Dress for your body type. Of all the different styles of leather jackets out there, the bomber jacket is the most flattering, no matter what your body type. While some moto jackets really only look good on a slim, athletically-inclined body style, a bomber jacket can look good no matter your body type. If you are a bigger man, you can totally rock the bomber jacket look. One tip, keep it unzipped. It breaks up your silhouette and makes you look slimmer.
- Buy quality. The bomber-jacket style isn’t going away. If you are going to add this jacket to your wardrobe, don’t cheap out. Stretch your budget to buy a quality jacket because it will stay in your wardrobe for at least a decade. Quality bomber jackets don’t go out of style. They look better when they are new and they age better than cheaper jackets too.
- Accessorize to keep warm. Leather jackets are great at stopping the wind, which means with the right accessories and layering, you can continue to wear your leather jacket style even in the colder months. Put it on over a sweater and you’ll feel as warm as if you were wearing a big parka. Accessorize for added warmth. Add a scarf and a beanie on cold days and you can get away with sticking to your leather jacket style.
- Let your bomber jacket be the star of the show. Never overpower your jacket. When you are wearing it, everything else should support the jacket. Avoid wearing cargo pants or anything bulky with your jacket. You should opt for fitted or low-profile pants for a cleaner look. The same goes for footwear. You can wear just about anything with your leather jacket to a limit. You can mix colors by wearing brown shoes with your black jacket. That’s the power of the jacket, there is no need to be matchy-matchy. You can wear dress shoes, boots and sneakers, but avoid white sneakers. They will overpower the look.
- Wear it to the office. Jeans and black leather are a classic look, but if you’re headed to the office you can rock the dressier look with a pair of chinos. Be sure to wear darker-colored chinos. A light khaki clashes with the darker look of a black jacket. A nice leather bomber jacket looks great with a collared shirt too. Wear your business-casual during the day, and at night, you’re looking good and ready for happy hour by adding your jacket.
Did you enjoy this tutorial for wearing a leather bomber jacket?
As versatile as a bomber jacket is, you can mess up the look. It doesn’t go with absolutely everything. The last thing I like to see when I see a great bomber jacket is someone who looks uncomfortable wearing it because they know their ensemble doesn’t work.
Follow these tips and you’ll find that people will want to dress like you. Tell us your thoughts about leather jackets and how you like to wear yours.